I include here links to some recent (and not so recent) news stories that might interest those concerned about Maths Teaching. I have deliberately avoided the teachers’ web sites which tend to be full of jargon. The BBC, Daily Telegraph and Guardian tend to have the best coverage, although the Telegraph stories are behind paywalls so don’t feature much here:
- November 2012 – not strictly speaking a news report – this is fascinating data, on a borough by borough basis, showing where London students go to school – https://files.datapress.com/london/dataset/cross-border-mobility-secondary-school-age-children/update_25_2012_cross_border_mobility.pdf
- 10 September 2014 – An excellent article showing, among other interesting statistics, the strength of GCSE teaching in London as compared to elsewhere in the country - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29128559
- 3 October 2014 – An interesting bit of research showing how financial rewards affect a student’s Exam Results – www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-29461681
- 20 August 2015 – A Guardian story on the quality of exam markers – http://www.theguardian.com/teacher-network/2015/aug/13/a-levels-gcses-examiner-exam-results-wrong?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Email
- 8 September 2015 – An article on the confusion about whether universities will want candidates to have taken AS levels – http://www.theguardian.com/education/2015/sep/08/university-admissions-as-levels-sixth-form-exams?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Yahoo_Mail
- 3 January 2016 – All primary school leavers to be tested on times tables – http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-35216653
- 16 June 2016 – A Level choices are genetic! – http://gu.com/p/4ydvf?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Yahoo_Mail .
- Progress 8 – http://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/aug/23/progress-8-gcse-results-pupils-results-schools?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Gmail – This is the new measure being promoted by the Department of Education to evaluate schools. Schools are still concerned with the number of grade C and better passes. Progress 8 should start to refocus them on all students.
- 10 December 2016 – The country where migrants attend school is more important to their test results than the one they came from – https://t.co/ICRXzEkpwN
- 14 July 2017 – Decline in Maths A level students expected because the difficult GCSE has hit confidence levels – https://www.tes.com/news/school-news/breaking-news/exclusive-maths-disaster-schools-report-alarming-decline-post-16-take
- June 2018 – A depressing story about one of the Edexcel A Level papers being leaked and sold on the black market (again).
20 July 2017 Post-16 Maths to get more Cash – http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-40672228
17 August 2017 – A Levels results day:
- Telegraph report on boys doing better than Girls http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2017/08/17/a-level-results-2017-first-rise-top-grades-six-years-despite/
24 August 2017 – GCSE results day:
- Doom-mongers from a teachers’ web site: https://www.tes.com/news/school-news/breaking-views/years-gcse-maths-students-are-guinea-pigs-and-they-now-face-havoc
- BBC’s take on the new grades quoting the figure that the Maths pass rate (grade 4 or C or better) increased from 61.5% to 68.9% http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-41023354
- Guardian – Could you pass Maths GCSE? – https://www.theguardian.com/education/2017/aug/24/could-you-pass-maths-gcse
Martin Procter – July 2018